- 2lbs ground beef
- 2lbs beef stew cubes (chuck), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 lg onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 red or green peppers, (your choice) diced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (one pepper, not the whole can!)
*** Note - I couldn't find this, so I used a spoon of hot sauce and 3 spoons of brown sauce (like A-1, HP, etc. I used HP sauce. Like a British A1 sauce, but a little different.)
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes in puree
- 2 14oz cans tomato sauce (with green chile peppers are good)
- 1 12oz beer, any kind
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Secret ingredient: 2 square unsweetened Baker's chocolate
Saute onions, garlic and red/green peppers until soft. Remove to crockpot.
About 3 hours later, add the beer (it'll foam up), let that get hot.
tablespoons of chili powder and cumin (don't be shy!), some garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
Let it cook up a while. Look for a reddish-orangeish color. You'll probably have to add some more of the spices. If it's not too spicy, sprinkle a little cayenne in. It does get hotter as it goes along. Again, the color will dictate the taste, if it's still red like straight tomatoes you need more spice, but go easy on the salt and the cayenne; folks can always add more if they want it hotter or saltier.