Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Emeril is the best Food Network Restauranteur...

Notice, I did not say chef or even teacher. Out of the big three remaining chefs on the Food Network - Emeril, Mario, Bobby - I really feel Emeril has the best restaurants. Now, does that make him a better chef than the other two - I definitely think not. However, for some reason, the Emeril's restaurants I've been to were far and away better than my experiences with Mario and Bobby.

Just a recap, I've been to Emeril's Delmonico Steakhouse 3 times and the first two times were spectacular - I still think it's the best steak I've ever had. Yes, even better than Peter Luger's. The third time was good, but not as amazing - probably an off night. I've also been to Emeril's New Orleans Fish House Las Vegas and I was blown away by the flavors and the moistness of the seafood.

In comparison, I've been to Bobby's Mesa Grill (the worst chicken I've ever had), Bolo (good, but nothing to go crazy over), and Bar Americain (the worst steak I've ever had). Don't mean to bash the guy, since I still watch his shows, but seriously his restaurants served two of my worst food experiences ever. I would expect more, especially for someone of his status and also the prices they charge.

Last but not least - Mario. Mario was my food godfather at one time. If Mario was Don Corleone in the hospital, I would have stood in front of the hospital trying to scare away Sollozzo's goons. He showed me how wonderful Italian food can be and gave me a passion to cook Italian food properly, travel to Italy and even learn a little Italian. This was maybe 4 or 5 years ago where my first 2 experiences at Babbo were breathtaking. However, fast forward 2 years and I don't know what happened. Went to Babbo and the pasta was clumpy and dry...how is that possible from the man who taught me how to cook pasta properly using the pasta water to make the pasta not stick to each other. Otto and Lupa - the pasta was still chalky inside. I mean this is amateur stuff.

I'm assuming the downfall of Bobby and Mario is probably a combination of not training their staff properly, not putting good executive chefs in the restaurant, and also over expanding their empire. I'm also assuming if Bobby or Mario ever cooked for me personally, it would definitely be spectacular. However, with that being said I feel Emeril should get his due. He is never treated in the same respect due to his "Bam" personality, but I would take his restaurant over Bobby's and Mario's any day of the week...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too had a great experience at an Emeril's in Miami. Great food and even better service. I would definately go visit another Emerils any day.

Jonathan said...

Emeril's Delmonico in Las Vegas was terrific. Can't speak to Bobby Flay in NY (and frankly the idea of eating at any of these guys' restaurants in NYC seems silly to me), but I had a great steak at MESA Grill at Caesar's.