Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Hiram's Roadstand - Review

Intro
Hiram's Roadstand - Dude Grade: B
1345 Palisade Avenue
Fort Lee, NJ
Phone: (201) 592-9602

Summertime has got me craving some hot dogs and after some minor surgery, the first thing I wanted was some hot dogs. I've heard about Hiram's Roadstand for a while, but never had an opportunity to go so figured now would be a perfect time. Great find and they definitely do a tasty dog.

Our Menu
Hot Dog **
Hot Dog with Chili and Cheese *
Similar to Rutt's Hut where it's not an uber flavorful dog, but very crispy and juicy. I believe they use a Thuman's dog where it kinda has this bologna thing going on. I actually dig the dog here more than Rutt's Hut. It's less greasy and not burnt to a crisp which brings out the flavor of the dog more. Chili was pretty solid with some great spice, but it took away from the flavor of the dog.

Onion Rings **
Chili Cheese Burger

Onion rings were kind of a shock since I wasn't expecting much. It was so great - very crispy and good sweet onion flavor with great texture to the onion as well. Cheese burger is a pass (go to White Mana instead) - dry and no beef flavor.



Rating System
--- What the F - in a bad way | (no stars - poor to average) | * Good | ** Great | *** What the F – in a good way

Overall Restaurant Experience
  • Food (B) – Great summertime eats. Nothing like a hot dog and onion rings to satisfy.
  • Service (C) – You order at the counter and pick it up when it's ready. Food comes out relatively quick, but not at the lightning speed of Rutt's Hut.
  • Atmosphere (B) – They got a biker feel going on there and reading some other reviews it's got a biker crowd at night. We were there at 3pm on a weekday and there were three groups there - families, not bikers. Place was dark with wood paneled walls and neon beer signs. Reminded me of a dive bar which I do appreciate.
  • Price (N/A) - Don't remember the price of the dog, but I believe everything was around $15 - including a birch beer.
Closing Comments
Definitely a go to when I'm craving a quick hot dog and onion rings. I still think Libby's Lunch is tops for me for a Jersey dog though. And, if I had more time, I'd rock the Kocher's dog and cook them up myself.

No comments: