Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pressure Cooker - First Try

After watching top chef many a time, I was always intrigued by the use of the pressure cooker - that damn lid won't close and they've got 30 minutes left! I finally got one of these bad boys for xmas and I was pretty shocked that it destroys any food in a very short period of time. The lid is actually very easy to close although when the pressure builds up and the thing is hissing, it's quite scary for the first time.

Any who, I took some beef brisket that had 0 fat on it and pressure cooked it for one hour and it was fall apart delicious - asian'd it up with 5 spice powder, soy, oyster sauce, ginger, garlic, and scallions (pretty damn delicious with rice btw). Usually, something like that would take me a good 2-3 hours to make the beef not have the texture of leather. The only problem was I cut up some carrots and potatoes and pressure cooked it for only 3 minutes (!!!) at the end and it turned to mush. Gotta play with the timings, but pretty awesome when you're short on time and want to cook up some delicious stews.

No comments: