Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Vong

Vong - Not Recommended
200 E 54th St.
New York, NY 10022

This place probably was once a very nice place to dine. Before the time Lemongrass, Star Anise, Sichuan Peppercorns were commonly known ingredients in NYC. A leader maybe 20 some years ago.
But last Thursday, I had a lunch meeting with a customer and from the moment we entered the place, it was just a bit out of place/out of date for NYC.
Tradition is good I guess, but something about Vong just didn't vibe well with me.

The space is quite large. The people are very nice and hospitable, but the food tasted mass produced.
The spices were dealt with a heavy hand, and clearly not deserving of the Jean Georges status.
Perhaps I am tooting JG's horn too much, but I expected better from his establishments.

Striped Sea Bass - Overly spiced and salty
Ox Tail Noodle Soup - No flavor
Desserts - They were all pretty average to good.
But not good enough for me to go back again.

No comments: