Friday, April 1, 2011

Salumeria Rosi - Revist

I took a random Friday off to spend the day in NYC with the wife. The first thing I thought we had to do was enjoy the warm weather by eating outside at Salumeria Rosi. I've been here before and it's same old, same old - my favorite cheaper Italian joint in the city.

Our Menu

Burrata (special for the day) **
Such an intense milky flavor and so creamy. Great way to start a Friday.

FINNOCCHIONA (fee-nohk-KEEOH-nah) ***
A zippy, Tuscan-style salame, seasoned with fennel, or finocchio. Full of flavor, it pairs well with mild foods like the saltless bread of Tuscany.

We just had this recently at Lupa and I was floored at how good it was there. Well, this version blows Lupa's away. Much more natural tasting and so full of flavor. Like a delicious cured porchetta. I think this maybe my new favorite salumi.

INSALATA PONTORMO **
Cesare’s signature salad of soft-scrambled egg, pancetta and market greens.

Such an addictive and fun salad. Creamy and warm from the eggs and salty/porky from the pancetta. I wish all salads were like this.


UCCELLETTO DI CECI ***
House made sausage of pork, fennel, garlic and spezie forte stewed with chickpeas and tomatoes.

Same as the previous visit. Still a WTF dish to me.

COSTINA **
Spicy Tuscan spare rib, slow-cooked with Italian tomatoes, rosemary and garlic.

Same comments as before although the WTF moment was gone. Still super delicious and fun to eat.

PEPOLINO **
Artisanal pasta with Cesare’s Mama’s Pomarola sauce and fresh pecorino romano cheese.

Simplicity defined. This may not be everyone's cup of tea since it's so basic, but I love this dish. Perfect pasta texture and a simple bright tomato sauce with cheese. Nothing to it, but it makes me super happy.

No comments: