Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Hudson House

Intro
The Hudson House - Dude Grade: B+
134 Main Street
Nyack, NY 10960
Phone: (845) 353-1355

The wife and I like stopping by Nyack, NY for a little mini get away. It's a beautiful drive especially during fall foliage season with views of the majestic hudson river. They also have some decent restaurants with a Hoboken feel - tons of restaurants and bars. Checking out some of the local reviews, The Hudson House seemed to be a favorite of the locals so we decided to check it out. Good call as the food we had was pretty damn delicious.

Our Menu
Lump Crab Cake *
Endive & Apple Salad, Curried Tomato Sauce, Cumin Vinaigrette
Crab cake was done nicely here. Nice and light with the crab cake being almost all crab. The apple salad and curried tomato sauce was a nice complement to the crab cake.

Gnocchi **
The gnocchi was just what I wanted that day and awesome with the peas. The gnocchi was nicely made also - not heavy and doughy.


Indian Ridge Pork Chop ***
I love me some pork and I have to say this is by far the best pork chop I've ever had. Awesome crust on the outside, 100% perfectly cooked, juicy and with an insanely porky flavor - unlike any chop I've ever had. Great with the accompanying parsnip puree and sauces. For me, the place is worth the drive just for this pork chop.


Rating System
--- What the F - in a bad way | (no stars - poor to average) | * Good | ** Great | *** What the F – in a good way

Overall Restaurant Experience
  • Food (B+) – Bistro/comfort food done very well.
  • Service (B+) – Server was very attentive, checking up on us multiple times. Food came at a decent clip too.
  • Atmosphere (B-) – An old timey type of feel with tin ceilings, brick wall, and nice photos of the hudson river. It is pretty damn dark inside though.
  • Price (C) – Entrees were around $28-31 which was a tad pricey, but totally worth it based on the quality they were serving. Minus points for false advertising - the website mentioned 3 courses and a glass of wine for $44 on certain days...it still has that deal up on the website. We were there on a valid day, but for some reason they said they were not serving it...kinda shite in my opinion.
Closing Comments
Definitely my go-to place when I'm in the area. Pork chop alone would be worth the visit, but I want to check out the chicken as well.

No comments: