Thursday, December 8, 2011

Beef : It's what's for Dinner

It's no surprise I love Steaks. As a matter of fact, I was recently asked what I'd request for my last meal if I were ever incarcerated. And to be honest, it would be very hard for me to not request a Big Juicy Steak. Primal instinct demands bloody protein I think.
I'm certainly not above it all and think Vegetables are a good source of nourishment. It just doesn't make sense to me. I intend to use my incisors til I die.
But let's leave that for another day. Today, I want to talk about my Steak.

Here are my simple instructions to turn a home cooked meal into a restaurant experience.

Take a great cut of Beef. (In this case, a dry aged, CAB Prime NY Strip Loin)
And Season it. I went the pan sear method, so I dusted it with Wondra.










In a hot pan, sear all sides of the protein. 2 min each side and remove and let sit.










In the same pan, deglaze with a decent red wine. Reduce by half and add chicken stock. Then add either Demi Glace or some kind of Glace (Veau or Poulet) and mix to incorporate well.



















Reduce.



















To finish the sauce, add a dallop of butter. In this case, I used Truffle Butter.
Remember to cut the heat and let the butter emulsify into the sauce by mixing with a wooden spoon.
You are looking to achieve "Nape".

In a new pan, heat up some olive oil or better yet, butter and sear the rested steak one more time to really put a nice crust on it.










Take off and let rest one more time. 5 min should do.
At this time start plating and conjure up today's presentation.

Slice on a bias and lay the glorious medium rare steaks onto the plate and spoon over your red wine reduction truffle sauce.

BOOM!

No comments: