Wednesday, August 29, 2007

hiatus - but back

I know you missed me. Okay, perhaps you didn't even realize I was gone, but I was in the Caribbean for several weeks. I wanted to have two experiences: Latin flavor and island flavor. I fulfilled this by exploring Puerto Rico and Barbados. I will upload information on the food there. Here’s a preview: rum, flying fish, macaroni pie, rum, lobster, red snapper, pina colada, pepper pot, avocado-that-I-picked-and-ate, pinchos, street vendors, and more rum.

Stay tuned, mon. (Okay, they didn’t say “mon” there, but you DID hear a lot of “man.”)

P.S. Picture is Flamenco Beach located on Culebra Island located a little east of the main island of Puerto Rico

4 comments:

Jasmine Tea said...

Hmmm, the beach that is! So, did you taste a real Mojito??

Did I tell you I had an Italian Mojito? It was so good. It has some basil in the drink instead of mint. It tastes Italiano!

Athos said...

Unfortunately, I've had better mojitos in DC. I never even got a sugar cane in my drink. The piña coladas ROCKED, though! I brought back several things from PR to make them here including a large bottle of Don Q rum. I had a similar mojito at Ruth's Chris with the basil. I thought it was awful.

Jasmine Tea said...

Well, I guess Mojito is a cuban drink after all.. Pina coladas sounds good, too. Any other girly drinks you tried??

Athos said...

Even the most grizzled lumberjack needs to have an umbrella in their pink drink when in the Caribbean! =] Since piña coladas were invented in PR, I loaded up on those. But I also had manly shots of Don Q rum (oh, so smoooth) and rum & Cokes and rum with other things. There was one place called Casita Blanca that I went to, since Rachael Ray went there, and they gave us a shot of rum with anise. They saw that I drank it quick and gave me two more shots - all on the house. Again, so smooth.

Barbados is where they invented rum and home to Mount Gay rum, oldest rum in the world (1703?). So had their rum punch (not so great). Also had Cockspur rum and another rum from a sugar plantation I visited, made on site. Strong stuff! Bread pudding with rum sauce (and you can REALLY taste the rum!), pineapple juice & rum, straight rum, rum cake (againa, strong rum flavor, but in a good way), and so on.

And Banks Beer.

Sugar fields everywhere yet when I ordered a mojito at a few places, none had mint leaves. Oh well...