Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Kabocha (Pumpkin) Soup

I hadn't really dabbled in the kitchen for some time so I woke up Sunday morning determined. I looked in my fridge and decided to whip up a soup the wife would be impressed with.
Kabocha with Jidori Chicken Soup
(Served Hot or Cold)

Take the carcass of 4# chicken, season and roast (at 400 degrees) along with 6 cloves of garlic on the same roasting tray for 45 minutes.
Take carcass and submerge into 500cc of boiling water. Add 3 T of salt and 2 whole shallots. Gently simmer for 40 minutes and remove stock for later use. Let the carcass cool and shred meat and reserve for plating.

Break down 1/2 a Kabocha and cut up into 1 inch dice.
Sautee in 4 quart pot, along with the roasted garlic cloves for 10 minutes then add 300cc of just made chicken stock.
Let simmer and cover for 20 minutes. (Kabocha should be fork tender)
Then add remaining stock and bring out stick blender.
Puree till smooth. Add 3 T of cream and pulse another 5 to 10 seconds.

Bunch in the middle of a soup bowl 2 T of the shredded chicken.
ladle in the Kobocha Soup and serve.



















In hindsight, I would substitute the shredded bits of chicken with grilled prawns.
And with the unused shredded chicken, I think I could make a pretty good Ban Ban Ji or even a chicken salad with it.

No comments: