Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Tadich Grill - Review

Intro
Tadich Grill - Recommended
240 California St, San Francisco 94111
Btwn Battery & Front St
Phone: 415-391-1849

I wanted some Cioppino and the chowhounders were all pointing to Tadich Grill. Cioppino is an Italian/Croatian immigrant seafood stew actually invented in San Francisco. Some say the first cioppino was served here. As usual, the chowhounders did not disappoint. Overall, I give the restaurant an 75/100.

My Menu
1) Calamari - Recommended
2) Seafood Cioppino - Highly Recommended (must have)
3) Seafood Cannelloni - Not Recommended

Dish Comments
1) A surprisingly lighter calamari that was not soaked in oil and very crispy.
2) This is where it's at. Never had Cioppino before and man I have definitely been missing out. An insanely flavorful thick tomato concoction - midway between a soup and a thick sauce, that again tastes like the freshest of seafoods. The cioppino is packed with clams, prawns, scallops, crab meat, and white fish. Goes perfectly with garlic bread. Might be one of my favorite dishes on this whole trip...
3) Basically a tuna casserole with lots of cheese. You can barely find any pasta in this dish. Although it's decent comfort food, I can't recommend this at the price they charge - $16.

Overall Restaurant Experience (75/100)

  • Food 7.8/10 - Phenomenal Cioppino, but the rest was just ok. The whole menu looked just ok to me also.
  • Service 7.8/10 - Friendly Croatian waiter, but was just Ok with the attentiveness.
  • Atmosphere 8.5/10 - A dark bar that has a classic San Francisco look. The crowd was a mix of tourists and powerful people (lots of suits). We got there at 9:30 and there was still a wait of 25 minutes.
  • Price 7.5/10 - A little pricey for the quality of the food, but I would pay a lot for that cioppino.

Closing Comments
This place is a little out of the way (in the Financial area), but well worth the visit just for the cioppino. I would pass on all the other dishes though. Surprisingly, they don't even serve anchor steam which I think is ridiculous...




1 comment:

Rob said...

I've had the cioppino there as well and I must say that it is really excellent. Top shelf.