Friday, April 11, 2008

Philly Cheesesteaks

I had an event in Philly earlier this week and like any out-of-towner, I had to get a Philly Cheesesteak in the city of brotherly love.
I'm not really sure why it's given that nickname... since many people strolling the streets at night in Center City did not look very "approachable" to me.
And that's Center City... where I was told is completely safe and well patrolled.
(I saw a total of 1 police officer while in Philly that whole day)
With a nickname like that... I just expected more... or at least a better city appearance in terms of roads, buildings and street congestion.

Anywho, I digress... back to the Cheesesteak.
So our resident graphic designer (a Phillygirl) who tagged along for the ride and helped out at the event, took us around and brought us to Jim's Steak for her favorite Cheesesteak in Philly.
I gotta say, it was juicy, flavorful, and completely satisfying. Like what a cheesesteak should be. I've been served Pat's and Geno's as well... and they are all good. If I remember correctly, in my preliminary tastings of one or the other... I preferred Pat's over Geno's.

The Cheesesteak really isn't a refined dish by any means, so therefore one needs to look elsewhere when assessing quality. I tend to appreciate places where they chop up the meat and make it as easy as possible to bite through the beast without it getting too messy at the end.
Pat's does it and so does Jim's.

I'll be back for sure.
Interesting sign on the wall at Jim's that read...paraphrased "Join the club by eating 13 cheesesteaks in a hour and it's free".
I ate 2 and it was enough for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well my true fav. is this cheese steak stand on the corner of Broad Street and Spruce St. Right in front of Utract Art Supply store. They open till 4 pm. Next time we should go there :-)