Monday, April 5, 2010

Momofuku #5

I was lucky enough to receive an invite to Momofuku Ma Peche this past weekend. They were having their Friends and Family event and I got to be one of the first to try their new menu out.
All in all, it was a good meal. I'm going to reserve the word "Great"... because quite frankly, it wasn't.
Ma Peche definitely fell short of my expectations.

The cold dishes and apps were very good, but the 2 entrees my guest and I ordered were merely average. Average in Momofuku standards that is. I've easily had better dishes at both Ssam and Noodle Bar in the past. So I'm left stumped... What on earth happened?
Now granted, the place isn't even open yet, and there are always kinks to work out in any opening... So I'm sure the boys in the kitchen will tighten things up and rock out in a few weeks.

(Momofuku) Ma Peche
15 W 56th St
Mezzanine of Chambers Hotel

(between 5th Ave & Avenue Of The Americas)
Manhattan, NY 10019



Half dozen raw oysters with Vietnamese Mignonette *
Very good start... ain't nothing wrong with solid raw oysters

King Crab with Aioli *
A little briny... but still fun to eat

Guinea Hen and Foie Gras Pate *
Great pate with my favorite toasted Tom Cat Baguette on the side

Mussels cooked in Crab Paste and Beer *
I could eat 2 full orders of these

Juliet Steak with Rice Fries with Ghetto Sauce
Not at all "Inspiring". I know the boys in the kitchen know their beef. I mean, they really know their beef, but the piece I got was pretty tough with tendons and stringy fat. I say bring back the good 'ol Sirloin. Wet aged is fine... I just want to see a good piece of beef on the menu

Skate with Garlic Sauteed Snow Pea Tips
Prepared with a lot of butter, over a bed of quickly sauteed snow pea tips... It reminded me of Chinese food in Flushing. So that can't be right. These guys are innovators of flavor... WTF is going on?

Cookies **
Probably the Highlight of the new location. The Milk Bar is located right as you walk in to Ma Peche. I highly recommend everybody to stop by and pick up a box of cookies for the office, or to take home... or even for the walk back to where ever you came from. These cookies are gooooooood.


- Marshmallow Chocolate Chip, Blueberry Cream, and Chocolate

No comments: