Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The new KFC Double Down sandwich - but is it a sandwich?


Take a good look at that picture. Yeah, that's right - no bread. It's bacon and cheese in between 2 pieces of fried chicken. Is this another post about the This Is Why You're Fat dot com website? Nah, you have to look hard to get those things. This? Readily available at your KFC. My coworker asked me if I tried it yet. I haven't even heard of it! I poked around the web, and sure, it's 1,300+ calories, but I'll try it. Good thing they come in grilled chicken, too. Not cuz I'm watching cals, cuz at this point, well... it's a moot point. Once you order it, you're already past the threshold. Might as well keep the momentum going, right? I just like the grilled chicken better than the fried at KFC.
In case this is news for you, too, check out the commercial below. Personally, :13 had me crackin up!
Look for a review on the KFC Double Down in the future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the commercial is funny, but I can't believe they're trying to sell it like that. Can you imagine the grease seeping through the wrapper and how the chicken would get all slippery and move around as you try to take your first bite? Also, I bet it has to be eaten fresh hot off the grill to be good. I like the part where you said "sure, it's 1,300+ calories, but I'll try it." ha ha. I can't wait for the review on that one. You might want to ask for a side of the potato gravy to dip it in to keep it moist. yummy :)

Athos said...

Side of the potato gravy to dip it in... not a bad idea! =] Stay tuned for the review, though it may be a while since I'm out fo town.

Anonymous said...

I decided I'm going to try this for dinner tonight, if I can get over my embarassment of ordering it . . . are girls supposed to eat such things??

Anonymous said...

Ok - I tried it. It was a mess to eat. I had a little mishap on the way home and by the time I took it out of the bag, the gravy had spilled out of the container all over the sandwich, so I had to eat it with a fork. But, it was pretty good. The cheese was plain 'ol American Cheese and the commercial shows a white cheese, so that part was lame, but overall it was pretty good. I probably wouldn't order it again though. It was very dense - like eating a flavored brick. I ordered the fried chicken and there was a pleasantly spicy taste to the breading. I also did not notice a "mayonaise sauce" that they advertised either. A little mayo would have been good. The bacon was sparse. I don't tink it was two whole slices - maybe one piece cut in half and it wasn't crispy like I like it. But, I had this "sandwich" on my mind ever since I saw the commercial and it was "not bad."

Next up for me will be to try the Cuban Panini Sandwich at Panera. . . the chipotle mayo has my mouth watering already.