Friday, January 2, 2009

Taqueria y Carniceria Sanchez - Review

Intro
Taqueria y Carniceria Sanchez - Highly Recommended
1190 Sunset Blvd NE. Suite A, Renton, WA 98056
Phone: 425-277-4600

I always have this uncanny ability to find random hole in the wall joints that kick massive ars. I've found the best Vietnamese Pho joint I've been to in the middle of nowhere Renton, WA. Now, I've struck gold again with this ridiculously amazing taqueria in Renton. Driving down Sunset Blvd, I noticed a tiny taqueria sign behind this gas station. I figured when I see the words "taqueria" and "carniceria" it's going to be a good place - no words like "fiesta" or "sombrero" here. A great place for tacos and it totally brought us back to our honeymoon in Mexico.

My Menu
1) Carnitas Taco *
2) Lengua Taco **
3) Tripa Taco **
4) Taco al
Pastor *
5) Quesadilla Carne **

Rating System
--- What the F - in a bad way * Good ** Great *** What the F – in a good way

Dish Comments
1) Crispy pork meat with good porky flavor.
2) A phenomenal taco. Lengua is cubed beef tongue. Incredibly tender and flavorful - almost like eating pork belly, but with more of a meaty mouth feel. So good I ordered a second helping.
3) Never had tripe like this before. This was thinly sliced and incredibly crispy and flavorful. Great stuff.
4) I've been looking for tacos al pastor all throughout my honeymoon in Puerto Vallarta, but for some reason or another I could never find any. Here it was a nice juicy roast pork. Very tasty.
5) Not exactly sure what this was called. A quesadilla looking thing (two tortillas) with salty, gooey cheese / tender steak, onions, and supposedly avocado. This was heaven on a plate.

Overall Restaurant Experience

  • Food 8.5/10 –Great tacos that reminded me of Mexico. When I saw that the tacos were served with two corn tortillas and limas - smaller than limes and less tart - I knew I was in for an authentic treat.
  • Service N/A –You basically go up to the counter and order cafeteria style. Incredibly nice people there.
  • Atmosphere 8.5/10 – Total dive which I love - High concrete ceilings and the place was painted all yellow. First part of the place is a meat shop where you can buy your meats from the butcher. The back part are the burners where you can order your tacos. TV had some Mexican MTV which added to the ambiance. Only two other people were there for a Friday at 12:30pm and they spoke Spanish only...good sign.
  • Price 9.5/10 – $13 for everything including a sidral mundet: a great apple soda - which we loved in Puerto Vallarta. The tacos were so good I went up to order 3 times.
Closing Comments
Unfortunately, no pictures since this was spur of the moment and did not have a camera with me. Need to pick me up a 3mp camera phone, so I can always take solid pix on the go. Can't wait to try other Mexican joints around town as there seems to be a large Mexican population (and Vietnamese as well, hence the great pho joints).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you forgot "gordita" and "chaloopa"... lol

man, a nice beef tongue taco with tons of salsa and cilantro would really hit the spot right now.