Thursday, January 8, 2009

Tar-Jhay saves the day

It was the little lady's birthday Monday, it was 5pm, and I had not prepared anything.
I was on my way back from work and had to come up with something.

Terrible, I know, but for some reason, I thought we were going out to eat. And then the call around 4pm... "...so what are you making tonight?" came.
I usually have a stocked pantry with fresh meats and veggies in the fridge, but again, the saying "when it rains, it pours", couldn't have been more true.
Everything was up in the air and a last minute effort was my only option.
I swung by the Target next to my apartment and went straight to the foods department.
I picked up a bottle of sauce, and my favorite frozen Archer Farms dessert and bolted home to start my prep.

Aramis is the resident Italian maestro and I remembered his trick with wringing out unnecessary water from fresh tomatoes in order to get more flavor.
When I opened up the bottle of pre-made sauce, I noticed it was a little runny, so I emptied out half the jar into a pot and let the water naturally separate out to the perimeter and I removed it with a spoon. This led to a very flavorful pomodoro sauce I must say.

Besides the pasta, I needed a little app dish to go with some vino, so I busted up some parmegiano reggiano and sliced up some salame with olives and anchovies.

I whipped up everything in time as the boss stepped through the door. I greeted her with a bottle of Dainero from Tuscany.

The finished pasta dish is posted below. Over all, I'm pretty happy with my results, but that's not saying much. I think I cook at an Olive Garden level. I really need to take some cooking lessons from Aramis.

Appetizers : Salame, Parm Reggiano Cheese, Anchovies and Olives
Pasta : Spaghetti with Pomodoro Sauce, Grated Parm Reggiano, Olives and Anchovies to garnish, Drizzled with Olive Oil
Wine : Dainero of Tuscany. (This estate is owned by the Ferragamo family... as in Salvatore Ferragamo)

1 comment:

Athos said...

Happy b-day to J!

Looks quite good. Was it salty having the olives AND anchovies?

How did she like it?

Last night I saw all the goods that Target has to offer. Quite surprised!