Thursday, March 5, 2009

Steamed Pork Belly

It's still winter and I've been craving a nice "melt in your mouth" piece of pork for a few weeks now.
So I picked up a piece of Pork Belly from my Asian Supermarket in hopes of recreating some killer Steamed Pork Belly Buns a la Chang (at Momofuku).

I have this great Smoked Sea Salt called "Iburi Jio", from Japan. It's apparently smoked for 3 continuous days with cherry wood and it imparts a bright, very pronounced smokey aroma to the sea salt.
I'm curious to see how this will cook with the belly.

It's currently 4am and I just finished rubbing the Iburi Jio onto the scored fatback of the belly.
I laid out 5 or 6 slivers of ginger and 1 whole head of garlic crushed up to maximize surface area.
Place Pork Belly onto ginger and garlic bed and fill dutch oven with 2 cup of Sake, and 1 cup of Chicken Broth.

Place in a preheated 325 degree oven for 4 hours and let it cool before slicing.

To serve, heat up buns and sliced pork belly.
Spread some hoisin sauce onto the opened buns and place slivers of cucumber and chopped scallions or chives onto the glistening pork.
Fold and eat up.

No comments: