Tehuitzingo Deli Grocery - Recommended (for tripe and groceries only)
695 10th Ave
Btwn 48th and 47th St
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 397-5956
Stopped by this deli / taco store to see what people were raving about. I dig the ambiance, but the taco's are pretty dry which kinda sucks. Still worth it for the tripe taco though and the nasty bits made sense after watching the brutal Watchmen in IMAX.
1) Tacos al Pastor
2) Lengua Tacos *
3) Tripa Tacos ***
--- What the F - in a bad way * Good ** Great *** What the F – in a good way
1) Decent pork flavor, but very dry. What makes it worse is the tortilla's (double) were grilled way too long which completely got dried out.
2) Same comments for the tortilla, but at least the tongue had some more fat which helped the dryness.
3) A complete wtf moment. Crunchy, fatty, flavorful tripe that just rocks. It's so fatty and flavorful, that it would taste good between some cardboard pieces.
Overall Restaurant Experience
- Food 7.3/10 – Good potential, but falls very short. The tripe does kick ars though.
- Service N/A – You basically go up to the counter and order yourself.
- Atmosphere 8.5/10 – I definitely dig the atmosphere here. When you first walk in, it's a Mexican grocery store/dive that has solid stuff (I can find my Takis again!). Walk to the back of the store and you'll see a counter that's smaller than my cubicle, where they cook the taco's for you. Add the Lucha Libre on the TV and you have the perfect environment for taco eating. Oh ya, there's about 6-8 seats there with plenty of hot sauces for your tacos...chipotle was the best.
- Price 8.0/10 – A solid value for a filling meal. I think the tacos were around $2-3 per.
Great grocery store and amazing tripe. However, I wouldn't necessarily trek out to Hell's Kitchen specifically for this place. If I'm in the area though, I would probably stop by and check out the rest of the menu.