Thursday, July 23, 2009

Chillin' and Relaxin'

I had an hour to kill Tuesday after work, and before meeting the boys up at Hearth, so I stopped by at Locanda Verde for a little pregame eats.












- Rabbit Terrine **
- Chicken Liver on Toasted Bread
- Porchetta
(The Chicarones that came with the Porchetta) **

All in all, it was pretty good food. The 3 dishes ran me $60 though. So in that light, it was an expensive snack that is hard to justify doing again.
I really wanted to see what Andy C. was doing these days while teamed up with Vito Corleone (Robert DeNiro). Although the dishes were executed very well, they were almost more French to me, than Italian.
The Rabbit Terrine was studded with bits of Foie Gras, the Chicken Liver was ultra smooth and garnished with brandy soaked raisins and pickled shallots, and the Porchetta was thinly sliced roasted lean pork loin with 3 or 4 bits of cracklins.

The part that really made me want to leave was the ambiance. A ton of corporate d-bags on dates flashing their wallets to impress the secretary or girlfriends they were with. The vibe was a close clone of Stone Rose, but with better food. The waitstaff were 3 or 4 star restaurant rejects who knew their drink menu by heart but lacked the penchant of the cuisine. Which is most important to me.






















So after this hefty snack, I headed over to Hearth with Aramis and met up the rest of the boys for the Piggie Prix Fixe.
Advertised 3 course for $42 + Drinks and Tax... it was a cool $70 walking out the door.
The food wasn't bad by any means, but I felt it wasn't something I couldn't make at home.
And for $70 a head, thanks but no thanks. I'd rather make it at home.

- Amuse Bouche "Fava Bean Soup Shooter"
- Pork Terrine with Frisee *
- Suckling Pig Roast with Beans and Spinach

Perhaps I'm grossly generalizing and haven't had Hearth's tried and true dishes which the James Beard Foundation adores... but I just didn't see it.
In my case, more often than not, Prix Fixe meals come short of expectations.
After all, it's a way for the restaurant to advertise without really spending the $$ on print ads and or other media. They lure you with the low fixed cost and can cookie cut meals for everyone.

In summary, the night was a success. We got to meet up with great friends and had warm meal with drinks. A chance to catch up and even discover common interests... Keyword, "Heather".

And a dudes night topped off with a trip to 53rd and Broadway never disappoints either.

No comments: