Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Pintxo Alternatives

Like I said yesterday, I could only take so much of the same fake crab, mayo, tuna, anchovy, sardines, and pepper combos. So, here are some other pintxo alternatives we tried.

Supermarkets
This was by far the best alternative if you're sick of rocking the pintxo/tapas night and day. We roamed the markets and the phenomenal upscale supermarket Don Serapio did it's trick.

Highlights included:
  • Doughnut Peach - sugary sweet and ridiculous juicy. The best peach I've ever had
  • Jamon Iberico Recebo - chewy at first that somehow ends up melting in your mouth. The funk is what makes this thing amazing. Kinda like a blue cheese type funk with huge pork flavor. I totally dug it although it was crazy expensive - about 79 euros per kg.
  • Collar Bellota - basically the best chorizo I've ever had. Incredibly flavorful and ridiculously tender.
  • Mousse pato al oporto - chicken liver mousse with port. Creamy and huge flavors with the sweet port and rich chicken livers.
  • Bread - great flavor, crisp crust, and perfect chewy on the inside. All for 1 euro!
























Chinese Food

Ok, I know this sounds ridiculous but we wanted to rock the Chinese food for lunch. Again, we were all tuna/mayo/fake crab'd out, so we decided to check this Chinese joint out - there's a ton in San Sebastian. Food was definitely more of the stuff you get in the burbs, heavy on the corn starch thick sauce with a Spanish twist - everything was overly vinegary. Still satisfying to have some tea and white rice.














McDonald's

I know eating at McDonald's in Spain sounds ridiculous, but we were at the airport flying back to JFK. I was thinking of rolling pintxo's / tapa one last time, but I couldn't do it. So, we settled on good ol' McDonald's and the McDonald's Cafe Menu. Never seen the CBO (chicken, bacon, and onion) before, but it was delicious and I had songs of Born In the USA going through my head. Is McDonald's a curse or a dream to the world? On that day, it was a dream, but on most it's usually a curse...

No comments: