Monday, September 21, 2009

Homegrown Tomato...

I've moved out to the burbs and I love cooking in my new kitchen and I'm excited about growing my own herbs - rosemary and sage are definitely the first ones up. The previous owners were nice enough to leave their tomato plant behind and I was always against growing tomatoes since it's so much work with the wiring and all that non-sense.

But, after taking one bite into this sucker I may change my mind. It's unlike any tomato I've ever had in my life - store bought heirlooms and cherry tomatoes ain't got sh!t on this home tomato. It's intensely sweet, juicy, and has a fruit like quality to it - yes, I know tomatoes are a fruit. I cut them up drizzled some extra virgin olive oil with some salt and pepper; and ate them with some rinsed and sliced Vidalia onions...kinda like Peter Luger's version, except much much better. Or, like Porthos suggested to me, pick it off the vine and just take a bite out of it...it will be a life changing experience.

3 comments:

porthos said...

Don Corleone esque... No?

Unknown said...

dude...after 12 pounds of homemade pasta sauce and countless tomato dishes, we are ready for a tomato pause

this lady's advice along with Tomato Tone and regular waterings helped us grow 7 quality vines (3 Rromas, 2 better boys, a big boy, and a celebrity)...we didn't try the fish head technique, though

http://www.growbetterveggies.com/growbetterveggies/2009/03/repost-how-i-plant-a-tomato.html

with fish heads i bet the vines get 10ft tall, grow teeth, develop a killer instinct, and attack....

http://www.growbetterveggies.com/growbetterveggies/tomatoes/

Aramis said...

Intense dude. Fish heads and aspirin - I wonder how that affects the taste.

Regarding being tomato'd out, I hear ya. I would make tons of pasta sauces, romesco sauces, curry sauces, etc and freeze em up.