Monday, November 23, 2009

Fight Food - UFC 106

Had the fellas over the new pad for UFC 106. Fights were good, but not as great as our Rock Band Beatles performance.

Pork Tacos
I've been craving pork tacos for a while now, so I figured why not give it a try. For some odd reason, I never found any great pork tacos during my wife and I's most excellent Mexican wedding/honeymoon. Most pork tacos I had in Mexico were sadly very dry, so I turned to good ol' Rick Bayless for some recipes. I was a little shocked at the technique, but then I remembered our friend Marko/Elexia's wedding and how simple and delicious those pork tacos were. Pretty spot on, uber easy to make, and f'n delicious.

Ingredients
7 pound pork shoulder
1 Red Onion and 1 Sweet Onion diced (I had one of each in my fridge)
7 cloves garlic minced
Water
Tons of Salt

Corn Tortillas
Diced Tomatoes
Diced White Onion rinsed with water

Ciantro Leaves

1) Rinse and remove skin and most of the fat - save the skin for chicharon and fat for beans and/or rice. Debone and cut into 2-3 inch pieces. This took me about 30-45 minutes...me thinks me needs a proper boning knife and proper butchery instructions.
2) OK, so add the meat, bone, garlic, diced red and sweet onion to a pot. Barely cover with
pot with a lot of salt like a big handful. Simmer. After 5 minutes, remove any grayish foam that floats to the top. Finish simmering for 2-3 hours.
3) After 2-3 hours, let meat cool for 30 minutes in the pot. Remove most of the broth and reserve for soups or sauces - it is uber intense in flavor. Shred meat with two forks. If it appears too dry, add the broth to the loosen up the mixture.
4) To serve, add the meat, tomatoes, white onion, cilantro leaves, and your favorite hot sauce to a corn tortilla - you can double up. Very simple and extremely delicious. Buen Provecho!


No comments: