Monday, November 2, 2009

Kikusui Shin-Zake

I had the great pleasure of hanging out with Mr. Takasawa, the 5th generation President of Kikusui Breweries this past week in Boston.
He brought a special gift for me, 2 cans of Kikusui Funaguchi "Shin Mai Shin Sake", straight from the packing line.
These are the very first 2 cans to make it to the US shores. WooHoo!

Think Beaujolais Nouveau of Sake except delicious.
Crafted from the first rice harvest of the year, this is a speedy process to brew and ferment the very first batch of sake on the market.

I will be sure to crack these open real soon and let you all know how it fares.

To the right of the green cans is also a new product called Kikusui Organic Junmai Ginjo.
This is a certified USDA Organic premium sake from Japan.
I heard it was a painful 5 year process to jump through all the hoops and obstacles our beloved USDA posed. But everything aside, this is one damn good brew.

I paired it with some fresh east coast oysters at my favorite Eastern Standard restaurant in Boston and it was without doubt a match made in heaven. The two perfectly complimenting each other. One played off the other with great harmony. Probably one of my best pairings I've ever put together.
If you have a chance, go get yourself a bottle of Kikusui Organic Junmai Ginjo, and pair it with freshly shucked oysters on a half shell. This will redefine your stance on sake whether you already like it or not.

No comments: