Sunday, November 15, 2009

No Doc Says "NO"

I've never heard of a doctor saying, "you need to cut down on the fish."
Have you?

So I decided to eat as much fish as I could and see how long it would take to bring out my meat cravings.
It's been 3 full days and I'm not even close to breaking down to chomp on salami or even fried chicken.
Let it be known, this is from a man who set out to be a vegetarian for as long as he could (just to see what it was like). And after the first 12 hours of only eating salads and grilled veggies, he cheated with a crispy popeyes cajun fried chicken thigh.

Fish is great and so damn delicious.
It's got fats that scientists think are good for you.
Let me say that again... "It's got fats that Scientists think are good for you."
How can that be? This protein has flavor and texture, and is good for you.
Like a rare woman, you cherish it an never let her go.


So just this morning, I invited a few friends and grilled up some mackerel and served it Japanese style with grated daikon and soy sauce.
Saba No Shio Yaki
Take Mackerel out of the package...
Dab with paper towel and place on prep tray. Drizzle some dry sake over the fillets and massage.
Let the sake absorb into the meat for about 5 minutes. Dab dry and sprinkle sea salt. Let rest for 20 minutes.
In the mean time, get your charcoal grill ready.
(I usually create a 4 by 10 briquette wall of charcoal down the middle of the grill. This usually gives me enough room to move stuff around and lend to ample heat control)
Place fillets onto partial direct heat (skin side down) and flip after 6 minutes. Flip again after 4 minutes and get the skin nice and crispy. Remove and plate.
Garnish and serve immediately.

No comments: