Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Ben Benson's - Review

Intro
Ben Benson's - Highly Recommended
123 West 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019-6098
Phone: (212) 581-8888

I used to love steakhouses when I was younger, but the price per satisfaction ratio usually never works for me nowadays. For $125+ per meal, I expect a perfect experience and it always fall short. Either the steak is overcooked or not that flavorful, or the place is just too stuffy. Well, at Ben Benson's the price per satisfaction ratio is definitely tops on my list. Overall, I give the restaurant an 86/100.

Our Menu
Fried Chicken
Chicken was nice and moist and had pretty good chicken flavor, but something about this fried chicken didn't do it for me. Maybe, it's too many runs to Popeye's or Korean Fried Chicken, but I definitely need more seasoning on the crust. Crust here was super bland.

Triple Lamb Chops **
After looking at the other dude's steak sizes, I expected huge lamb chops - not big at all, but still satisfying. Great lamb flavor that was perfectly seasoned. The fat on this thing was spectacular too - so f'n tasty and cholesterolirific.

Creamed Spinach *
Pretty hard to f up creamed spinach and this one is pretty good. No Daisy May's creamed spinach, but still pretty tasty. Nice spinach flavor and good texture.

Two Little Red Hens: Blackout Cake ***
The best thing all night was this cake. It was so moist and had huge chocolate flavor. Everything you want in a chocolate cake was represented here. A big time wtf cake...definitely one of the best chocolate cakes I've had in a very long time.

Two Little Red Hens: Cheesecake *
Cheesecake was pretty damn delicious too. Dense, not too sweet and great texture.

Rating System
--- What the F - in a bad way * Good ** Great *** What the F – in a good way


Overall Restaurant Experience (86/100)
  • Food (8.4/10) – Desserts were out of control good and everyone's meats were spot on - nothing out of this world but the lamb/steaks were generally great.
  • Service (8.8/10) – Old time waiters that were pretty funny. Food came out pretty quick.
  • Atmosphere (9.5/10) – The atmosphere is the main reason you go to a steakhouse - to be loud and obnoxious with your guy friends. Here, there's loads and loads of obnoxious dudes and it's an awesome time. Place is old timey with a little class. Got there at 7:30pm on a Thursday and we were seated right away. Place was a little empty around 9pm though...
  • Price (9.0/10) – About $85 a head which seemed worth it for the great time that we had. Seems slightly cheaper than most steakhouses since it seems I'm always spending $125+
Closing Comments
Maybe my new go to place for steaks. Although me thinks Peter Luger's is still my favorite steak in the city - albeit I haven't been back in 4+ years...

No comments: