Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Whale of a Time

Get the phone out and alert PETA! Wait... bad joke... considering I despise PETA and honestly believe they themselves are terrorists.
But you'll get the cliche when you read on.










Taruichi - Recommended
Daiichi Asakawa Bldg 5F.
1-17-12 Kabuki-cho
Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
03-3208-9772

So I finally had whale meat for the first time on my recent trip to Japan.
Yup... freaking Whale.
This restaurant in the Kabukicho district of Shinjuku specializes in the mammalian meat and also is a hardcore Sake joint.
They are credited for changing the way sake brewers label their bottles. Upon the behest of the founding owner, the SMV and Acidity is now printed on most of the sake bottles today.

Now onto the whale part. Yah, the meat is RED... I mean, bright red.
If you're not a steak person, you may want to shy away from this.

I on the other hand kinda enjoyed it. I will not say it is my fav, but if served to me again, I'll gladly eat it.

The meat is a bit tough when had sashimi style. But when it's braised or even blanched quickly, it's quite good.









** and for all you hardcore sake fans out there...
that bottle is a Kubota Nama Genshu folks!!!

No comments: