Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Legal Sea Foods - Review

Intro
Legal Sea Foods - Highly Recommended
1 Garden State Plz # A8a
Paramus, NJ 07652-2417
Phone: (201) 843-8483

Living out in the burbs, I'm surrounded by many a chain restaurant. Usually that's a bad thing - ala McCormick and Shit, but sometimes you find a gem. Legal Sea Foods is definyitely one of those chain restaurants that I wouldn't mind going to every once in a while. Overall, I give the restaurant an 84/100.

Our Menu
Oysters (PEI and Kumamoto) *
Kumamoto's were nice and sweet and the PEI's were decent. Not bad at all.

Grilled Calamari **
These were shockingly great and not even on the menu - they're usually served fried, but my parents are health conscious. These were very tender with good flavor and served with perfectly cooked orzo, lemon juice, and olives. I can't reiterate how great these were.

Clam Chowder *
Flavorful clam chowder and pretty good stuff. My favorite memories of clam chowder are still up in Newport where the chowder was slightly sweet from the clams and less heavy than the ones here.

New England Lobster Bake **
This is my idea of perfect summer food or in this case nice weather food. Steamed lobster that was flavorful and juicy with a side of drawn butter. Then, they throw in some perfect flavorful juicy mussels, chorizo, corn on the cob and steamers. Really fun stuff although the steamers are a bit gritty if you don't remove the skin.





















Rating System
--- What the F - in a bad way * Good ** Great *** What the F – in a good way


Overall Restaurant Experience (84/100)
  • Food (8.4/10) – Nothing fancy, but seafood cooked very well. My wife's tuna which I had one tiny bite was solid as well. Something about lobster and drawn butter. So simple and so delicious.
  • Service (7.5/10) – Waitress was pleasant and tried her best although she was late with some items.
  • Atmosphere (7.0/10) – I hate the Paramus Mall and a big problem with this place for me is it's in what maybe the worst parking lot in America. The place inside though is OK with the standard dark tables/chairs. There's some kitschy things all over the place like sail boats and maps on the wall. Place was a mix of younger couples, families, and older couples.
  • Price (N/A) – Parents paid for my birthday dinner, so I can't fairly rate this. But it looked like most entrees were around $25 which is a tad pricey in my opine for NJ.
Closing Comments
Pretty damn happy with this place and will definitely go back to try the cioppino next time.

1 comment:

porthos said...

Although a hit or miss outside of Boston... I too am a HUGE fan of Legal Seafoods.

That Chowdah is consistently good.