Thursday, December 17, 2009

Mccormick & Schmick's Seafood - Review

Intro
Mccormick & Schmick's Seafood - Highly Not Recommended
175 Riverside Sq Mall, Hackensack, NJ
Phone: (201) 968-9410‎

Living out in the burbs now, I am very lucky with my access to authentic ethnic food - Mexican tacos, great Greek food, Filipino, Yakitori, and the list goes on and on. However, being out in the burbs, you also see the standard chain restaurants. I've heard from some people that McCormick and Shmick's is actually very good, but definitely the quality blows at the one in Hackensack. I know I sound like a hater, but I actually think Legal Seafood does great stuff and that's another big name chain. I give the restaurant an 50/100.

Our Menu
Oysters ---
Definitely not fresh tasting at all. Texture was not crisp and more slimey...I've had these exact oysters out west and they were night and day difference. The mignonette was all acid and no shallots...pretty gross. I didn't get sick afterwards though...

Mahi Mahi
Fish was slightly dry and the rice was undercooked.

Flounder and Crab Cake ---
Flounder was oily as hell and the flavor of the fish was completely gone as the parmesan crust was completely overpowering. Crab cake had way too much breading and absolutely no crab flavor. Plus crab tasted off as well.

Rating System
--- What the F - in a bad way * Good ** Great *** What the F – in a good way

















Overall Restaurant Experience (50/100)

  • Food 6/10 – Food was very subpar, but not inedible. I guess that's a plus?
  • Service 6/10 – Waiter tried his best, but he still forgot to place our order and the place was completely empty. He was enthusiastic at least which bumped him up some points
  • Atmosphere 7/10 – Place was dark and had almost a steakhouse feel. There were 3 other tables in the whole joint at 9pm on a Friday. We were seated as soon as we got in.
  • Price 4/10 – To pay almost $100 for that food was completely ridiculous. 100% not worth it.
Closing Comments
Like I said, I don't mind the chain restaurants at all, but bottom line is the food has to taste good and I should be happy for the price I paid. If you're in the burbs and you're craving fish, I would stick with Legal Seafoods.

No comments: