Friday, July 20, 2007

Chefs and Champagne, via Hamptons

It'll be my first time going to the Hamptons this Saturday.
This is an event honoring revered chef Charlie Trotter of Chicago, tomorrow.
Hosted at the Wölffer Estate Vineyard in Sagaponack, NY, it should be a good time.
The weather report says sunny skies and my tummy says all systems go.
30+ chefs from around the country will be showcasing their signature dishes.
Much like the James Beard Awards earlier this year, I am expecting stations laid across a flat area of land and people in cocktail dresses & tuxedos grazing the tables.

Event Location: Wölffer Estate Vineyard 139 Sagg Road Sagaponack, NY
Date and Time: Saturday, July 21, 20075:00–8:00 pm
Reservations: Members $200, General Public $275
VIP* Experience $500 ($300 is a tax-deductible charitable donation)
Tickets will be available online until Saturday, July 21, at 1:00 pm.
After that time, tickets will be available at the door.
*** Update***
So I got back from Hamptons late Saturday night. The food was alright but the eye candy was intense. A lot of mid 40's & 50's guys with 20 something model-like girlfriends. (you gotta laugh) It was everything I expected from a Hamptons soiree.
The event itself was kinda cool but only lasted a few hours.
So let me just run through the highlights for you.
- I got to see Martha Stewart up close in person. She looked really good. I'll leave it at that.
- Charlie Trotter was shorter than I expected. And his head seemed too big for his body. But I'm sure he's a great guy. (err, sometimes)
- Maybach was part sponsor of the event, so they parked a Maybach 57 for display in the middle of the tent where people could go in and sit in the car.
I gotta tell ya, it is one comfy ride. If I had that much dispossable income, I wouldn't mind having one of those badboys to be driven to everywhere.
- And as we were leaving the venue, we were stopped and asked if we wanted to attend a private after party at someone's castle. Yes, "Castle".
I guess if you really have that much money, why not build something grossly impractical and tack along a gazillion dollars for maintanance.
We chose not to go and headed straight back to the city where we felt a little more at home.

1 comment:

wrcarlson said...

Thanks for adding me to your links. I appreciate your support.

The Trotter event sounds cool, if you go give him my best, as I used to work for him in Chicago.

Bill - www.ilsvont.com