Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Sezz Medi - Lunch Review

Intro
Sezz Medi - Recommended
1260 Amsterdam Ave, New York 10027
At W 122nd St
Phone: 212-932-2901

My girlfriend and I were missing Italy recently, so we decided to do an Italian food inspired day in NYC. First stop, Sezz Medi in the Upper East Side. I've been here before and I remembered the pastas were phenomenal. We stopped here for lunch, but unfortunately no pastas today. It didn't matter, since what we had was great. Overall, I give the restaurant an 85/100.

My Menu
1) Pizza Pastore - Highly Recommended
2) Endive tossed with walnuts, sliced pears, tuscan pecorino and chives- Recommended
3) Pineapple and champagne - Highly Recommneded


Dish Comments
1) Pizza consisting of mozzarella, goat cheese, gorgonzola, and ricotta cheese (no tomato sauce). The stringiness of the mozzarella, the soft texture of the ricotta, and the bite of the gorgonzola made for a wonder taste and texture combination. The dough was really flavorful and had a great chewy texture. Definitely brought me back to the pizzas in Rome and Capri...although the dough there was much thinner, but still very chewy. This was more of a thicker NY style dough, which still rocked.
2) Perfect compliment to the pizza and very Southern Italian. Southern Italians seem to enjoy the bitter components of a dish a lot (e.g. Arugula and Endives). The bitterness of the endive was offset by the sweetness of the pear and the saltiness of the pecorino. Nice light salad.
3) The pineapple and champagne drink had the perfect match of fresh fruit juice and the bubbles.

Overall Restaurant Experience (85/100)

  • Food 8.6/10 - Brought me back to Italy for a brief moment.
  • Service 8.5/10 - Very friendly waiter that was knowledgeable about the food. Food came out very quick.
  • Atmosphere 8.0/10 - Rustic look and feel similar to a trattoria in Italy. Sunday brunch in the Summer, so there were not that many people there.
  • Price 8.8/10 - The price was reasonable for the quality of food that we received.

Closing Comments
I know I really like a restaurant when it inspires me to do my own little twist on what I ate. I am definitely going to take all three menu items and serve them at my next dinner party. Next time I will come back to Sezz Medi for the pastas and add another review.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice camera(flogging) work.