Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Faux Gras - Faux Good?

So, our friendly neighbors across the pond have created a product they call Faux Gras. Yes, a British supermarket has created guilt free Foie Gras by using goose and duck livers without the force-feeding by combining the livers with duck/goose fat. I find the term guilt free funny - I wonder if they feel guilty for killing the duck/goose?

I'm open to this faux gras and if it somehow makes the duck/goose live a better life - I'm all for it, as long as I can still get my rich creamy foie gras on a brioche without a significant drop in quality. Worst case it may taste slightly better than the chicken livers from Barney Greengrass and as Jerry Seinfeld would say "not that there's anything wrong with that." Greengrass chicken livers are off the charts good by the way. I'm assuming we'll see this product eventually make it's way states-side, and you can expect the dudes to give you a full review...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i would love more than anything to have people take the trip up to hudson valley foie gras and see for themselves how "well" the ducks live. the ducks are healthy, energetic, waddle around, and look forward to feeding time. it's the total opposite of chickens in Purdue or Tyson feed lots.