Saturday, December 22, 2007

2007 Year in Review

2007 is about to close, so I figure why not reflect on all things food. Here are some deep (or not so deep) food thoughts...

1) Best Restaurant 2007 - The French Laundry
High expectations came in to the visit and while not completely met, this was definitely the best restaurant for me in 07. Great service, very good to great food (nothing bad), and beautiful scenery. This is how the majority of fine dining restaurants should run their operation. Once you have the amazing lamb, you realize how special this place is.
Honorable Mention: A Voce, Eleven Madison Park, Yakitori Totto

2) Best Restaurant Dish 2007 -Sucking Pig (Eleven Madison Park)
I looooooove pork and this was in strong contention for my favorite pork dish ever. Perfectly tender, juicy, flavorful, and that oh so wonderful crispy skin.
Honorable Mention: Lamb (French Laundry), Crab and Pork Soup Dumplings (Grand Shanghai), Duck Meatballs (A Voce), Cioppino (Tadich Grill), Fried Clams (Flo's Clams)

3) Best Cheaper Restaurant 2007 - Swan Oyster Depot
Every time I think of the place I just smile. For some reason, the combination of an Anchor Steam and dungeness crab sitting at the counter brings a sense of euphoria in me. There's probably better seafood out there, but that combination just does it for me. Hopefully, the SF oil spill doesn't affect that place.
Honorable Mention: Yakitori Totto, Bar Fry, Grand Shanghai, Pio Maya

3) Worst Restaurant 2007 - Spotted Pig
By far the worst restaurant for me in 2007 and potentially ever (based on the hype). The only place where as Homer Simpson has said before "There's still food, but I don't want to eat it. (sounding panicky)" The burger was seriously inedible. I don't know what all these people are raving about, but this place sucks bad.
Honorable Mention: No need. Spotted Pig wins pig feet down.

4) Favorite Dude's Night Moment 2007 - Sushi-Ann to Lan
What happens when the dudes have an omakase meal at Sushi-Ann and are frustrated that the meal was terrible? You go to Lan of course to eat for another 2 1/2 hours. This was just a classic dude's night out with lots of laughs and lots of great food.

5) Favorite Television Episode 2007 - After Hours with Daniel
The season finale of After Hours with Daniel season 1 was one for the ages. Eric Ripert and Daniel Boulud cooking are reason enough to watch, but throw in Jacques Pepin and you have stellar television programming.

6) Random Thought: Food Network sucks even more
Two of the greatest teachers on the Food Network were booted in 2007 - Emeril Lagasse and Mario Batali. You can say whatever you want about their personalities or restaurants, but you have to admit they know much more about food than the current hous fraus on the network.

7) Favorite Dish of Mine 2007 - Italian Style Manwich
I made some fun (and also some bad) dishes in 2007, but this probably was my favorite. Was thinking of manwiches for some dumb reason and I was curious if I could make a tasty one. This was off the charts satisfying. Rich and goes perfect with the toasted hamburger buns.

Well, it's been fun starting this blog in 2007 and hope you had a good time reading. I'm off to Seattle and Taiwan, so no posts for me for the rest of the year. As usual, you can expect updates when I get back on the foods I'll be sampling over there. Everyone have a safe and happy holiday and more importantly...good eating! P's

No comments: