Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Bourdain...on the Food Network again

Flipping through the channels and I noticed the Food Network is re-releasing Anthony Bourdain's show "A Cook's Tour" primetime on Tuesdays. Quite shocked, considering this was filmed in 2000, so it obviously seems the Food Network is trying to steal away some thunder from his current show on the Travel Channel. I think it's shite for Bourdain, but good for the viewer since I feel A Cook's Tour was a little edgier. As I said before, some of his recent episodes kinda feel flat to me but I guess if I was traveling for 5 years filming TV it would probably get old also.

So, I started to use "the google" to see if I can find anything on this. Well, here's the link to his blog post on the subject if you want to read it. It is hilarious and obviously he's quite pissed.

Excerpt - classic Bourdain: "I howled out loud in the general direction of the sea. A few small children by the kiddie pool began to cry - frightened perhaps, by my primal outburst. Why - after all these years - would they put my old episodes back on the air? The damn things were filmed in 2000 and 2001!! They have nothing newer, or fresher or better - after all that time - than my first, stumbling, nascent attempts at making travel/food television? They don't have any material from anyone else - like from someone who doesn't make constant rude and obscene suggestions about their stable of "stars?" Surely they haven't reached so far down the bottom of the archives as to want ME back?!

This was like being unexpectedly groped and publicly slipped the tongue by the ugliest girl at the prom. You're flattered by the attention - but frankly ... embarrassed. And the timing seemed suspicious. As I ordered two more and then a third Mai Tai, paranoia began to set in."

No comments: