Monday, June 30, 2008

Mexican 2008 - Wrapup

Had a great time all over Mexico, but the surprising thing that I realized is Mexican seafood is very similar to Italian seafood - great ingredients, minimally dressed, and cooked well, tastes great. Any who, here's what I want the next time I visit Mexico and I am 100% going back (just not to Playa Del Carmen).

1) Find some good pozole (a hearty soup with hominy). I've had two versions - a shrimp and a pork version, but I wasn't a big fan.

2) Find some juicy cochinita pibil. Every single time I've had this dish it's always been dry. Flavor has always been excellent, but I believe it can be juicier.

3) Find some tacos al pastor - like gyro meat, but it's made of pork. Only saw one place that had it and it was closed.

4) Visit a Mezcal brewery. Tried some Mezcal for the first time and I was completely blown away. Tasted like a great smoky single malt scotch. Mezcal is made from the agave plant (also used by tequilla), but it's smoked. Soooo, smooth and tasty.

5) Check out the grocery store and cook some more. Grocery store contained some fun products - yogurt being some of our favorites. I wish we could papaya or coconut yogurt easily in the states.

6) More shrimp tacos, quesadillas, and gorditas cause they are oh so good.

No comments: