Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Where did the talent go?


Aureole NYC,
of all places, was supposed to be a solid dinner with my parents who are in town visiting this week.
I had a business trip scheduled and had it all planned.
6pm dinner, then with a happy and full tummy, on the road by 9pm.
Not the case... and not very happy.


















The last time I dined at Aureole, it was still under the command of
Dante Boccuzzi.
About this time last year... Dante decided to uproot and do his own thing in Ohio, and so Charlie Palmer was out an executive chef.
This just goes to show how difficult it is to find a quality Exec Chef.
It's been 1 year since my last visit (and so of the new kitchen staff) so if anyone's going to argue it takes time for a new skipper to fill in the shoes, that argument is out the window.

I ordered the rabbit trio for the appetizer and the seared scallops for the entree.
Both were prepared far below the standards of a fine dining establishment.
(Artisanal or Balthazar puts out plates better than this)
And I wasn't the only one. Everyone in my table just quietly ate their meal, and smiled at one another noting the absolute blandness in their dishes.
e.g.
The rabbit didn't taste like rabbit. The scallops didn't taste like scallops. The lobster was tough and drowned in heavy curry sauce. And the Lamb was tough and tasteless.

What Happened?!
I can't justify ever going back to Aureole again.

I'm happy I got to spend some time with my family, but after dropping $600 on dinner, not satisfied, and left with a 300 mile car ride ahead of you isn't the best way to kick off a week long business trip.

No comments: