Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pasta Revelation

I've cooked pasta many a time and it's always simple - season the water, cook the pasta al dente, finish the pasta in the sauce, and top with good extra virgin olive oil. This always yields a great result, but I decided to use sea salt instead of kosher salt to season the water and what a wtf revelation.

The boiling water should always taste like the sea, but when using sea salt the flavor of the pasta just pops - I used a large handful of sea salt. You'll notice the difference right away when tasting the pasta out of the water. Usually, the pasta doesn't have much flavor on it's own, but with the sea salt - it's friggin' delicious right out of the boiling water. If it doesn't taste really delicious, you need to add a lot more salt!

I ended up tossing the pasta simply with some shallots, garlic, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, and topped with extra virgin oil - it was so friggin' good I had to have four bowls worth. The flavor of the pasta is so delicious that you don't need to do much to it. I'll definitely be rocking the sea salt in the water going forward. Buono appetito!

No comments: