Saturday, May 12, 2007

Best of Luck Dante!

I did not have a chance to say goodbye to one of my favorite chefs in the city, Dante Boccuzzi(formerly of Aureole NYC) when he uprooted to Cleveland, Ohio earlier this year. I've known Dante for a few years now and he is one of the humblest chefs I know (and I've met a bunch of chefs). His food is wonderful and carefully put together to give the diner a controlled flow through out the meal.
Too many chefs today, load up their tasting menu with excellent dishes that play a wonderful solo but never have the right chemistry to balance their characteristics with the next dish.
Dante was one of those rare Chefs in the city that pulled it off and kept to his game by doing it day in and day out. Salut!

But fate had it that we met up at the James Beard Awards (last Monday) as everyone was breaking down their booths and running into each other while loading our cars.
"Cleveland it is!" he said with a smile and invited me to the Grand Opening later this year in September.
His wine director and I exchanged cards and we look forward to working on a project together.

sidenote:
Now when someone talks about Cleveland, Ohio, I will have 2 subjects to start a converstation with. Chef Dante Boccuzzi and Bone Thugs-N-Harmony.
I think I will lead with the first.

No comments: