Sunday, May 13, 2007

Multi Cultural Tacos

Had some people over last night and decided to make a bunch of dishes inspired by different cultures with tortillas as the serving vessel - Multi Cultural Tacos for the TC crew! To answer the question up front, all of these recipes I came up with myself. Basically inspired by eating lots and lots of good food.

Here's last night's the menu:
1) Home made guacomole and hummus
2) Indian snacks
3) Middle Eastern Inspired Pizza
4) Latin Style Braised Beef
5) Mexican rice and beans
6) Italian Sausage, Peppers, and Onions
7) Chinese Roasted duck, cucumbers, and hoisin sauce
8) Enoki mushrooms in sake and miso
9) Chinese Tong Choy (aka Ong Choy)

Comments about the menu
1) Easy stuff to make and way better than the stuff that you can buy at the local mega mart...recipe available upon request
2) Was thinking about making a chicken tikka misala from scratch instead, but this was the easier thing to do. The snacks are Haldiram's Panchrattan which can be bought at most Indian grocery stores. Sweet and spicy potato sticks - so good.
3) Basically baked pita with hummus, tomato, red onion, cucumber, mint, lemon juice, and olive oil. The tomato, red onion, cucumber, mint, and lemon juice reminded me of a salad that I had at an Afghani Restaurant. Hummus and pita reminds me of one of my favorite cheap eateries in NYC - Mamouns.
4) Not sure how I got this, but after going to Mexico I have been inspired to do more braising of meats. Basically a chuck steak rubbed with cumin, cinnamon, chipotle powder, and mexican oregano. Braising in orange juice (I think this is more cuban, but I still like it), garlic gloves, liquid smoke, and olive oil. Sear the meat with sea salt, sautee onions, tomato paste, and a bay leaf, add a can of whole tomatoes and simmer for 2+ hours. Serve this on a corn tortilla with white onions, cilantro, and tomatoes...optional mexican rice and beans and/or guacomole
6) Sausage, peppers, and onions served in a tortilla is surprisingly good. Was thinking about having tomato sauce, basil, and smoked mozzarella cheese (representing a pizza), but thinking that would be too messy.
7) This is inspired by the Peking Duck again in a tortilla. Place the duck, cucumbers, cilantro, and hoisin sauce in the shell...a classic.
8) Had this at Gyu-Kaku (Japanese bbq) in the city, so I had to do a recreation. Basically enoki mushrooms, soy sauce, sake, miso, scallions, garlic, and butter roasted. Topped off with truffle oil...
9) One of my favorite chinese veggies...sweet and crunchy. It's a veggie that has a hole in the center and grows in waterways

Pictures



2 comments:

Athos said...

A lot of times, Fusion can be ConFusion. =] But this looks good! I do the same thing, but it raises eyebrows. I think Chinese people dislike when I add cheese to different things like dumplings and shar bing (sp?), for example.

Anonymous said...

queso rules!