Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Jacques and Rick

Two of my favorite TV chefs, Jacques Pepin and Rick Bayless, were cooking on Rick's PBS TV show - Mexico One Plate at a Time. For me, this was like watching Joe Montana and Barry Sanders on the same team. Jacques Pepin was the personal chef to three heads of state including Charles de Gaulle. I have learned so many key cooking techniques from watching his TV shows and reading his books - like how to cook proper eggs. Every time I watch Jacques a lot bulb comes on. Rick Bayless is a chef that deals with authentic Mexican cooking - not the crap that Bobby Flay does. Watching Rick, I always learn something new and he explains things so well and with such great passion. In the episode, Jacques also mentioned that he learns something new from Rick all the time - uber cool.

This particular episode had Rick visiting Jacques at his vacation home in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. (btw - Jacques has a ridiculously amazing vacation home overlooking the water). It was such a great episode - premise being they would both cook their own dishes. First they went to the market to go grocery shopping. It was great to see how they approached picking ingredients. Rick ends up making a salad of grilled cactus, chaya leaves and arugula to top red chile-seared mahi mahi. Jacques sprinkles cumin and Mexican oregano over his red snapper, grills it whole, and then serves it with his version of a chopped tomato and avocado salsa. It was very cool to see how they both shared the same enthusiasm for cooking using different techniques. One of my all time favorite cooking episodes!

2 comments:

Athos said...

Another fan! Rick Bayless is great!! Who else can make Mexican food gourmet? I thought his show was only in Chicago, since I can never find it out in D.C. Although I’ve never dined at any of his places myself, I’ve sent my Parents there twice for their anniversary; they loved it. As you stated, you can sense his passion for what he does. I learn a lot from his show, not only from his techniques, but also about the food he’s cooking, how to choose the produce and more.

Alton Brown (http://www.altonbrown.com/) sort of reminds me of Rick Bayless. His show on FoodTV, Good Eats (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea), is also educational and informative. They even look similar. ;-)

Porthos said...

I too am a great fan of Chef Pepin. What a culinary living legend.
I had the pleasure of meeting Jacque Pepin on a few occasions. He is truly a gentleman and master of his domain.