Thursday, November 8, 2007

Frantoia - Olive Oil Review

After the disappointing olive oil Masserie diSant'eramo, I decided I wanted a better olive oil and felt like I needed to buy a new one...immediately after I bought Masserie. Yes, I know this is a problem I have, but damn it, I like olive oil. I decided to buy good old faithful Frantoia to see how it would compare. It is definitely recommended.
  • Region - Sicily. Sicilian oils really have the deep rich flavor that I dig
  • Bottle - Clear bottle, but you can see how awesome the oil looks
  • Oil - This oil is super green and is really viscous. It has legs, kinda like wine, where if you tilt the bottle the oil ever so slowly drips down the sides. It also has bits of stuff at the bottom of the bottle, which I feel gives it that extra tastiness.
  • Description - I've tried this before so the label description wouldn't persuade me, but it's "made in the antique Sicilian oil pressing tradition!"
  • Price - Mad expensive at Whole Foods. $19 for 16.9 fl ounces but worth it in my opinion. This is an oil that you won't cook with, but you would use to finish a plate with.
  • Flavor - Rich and flavorful, very viscous. Compared it side by side with Masserie and the Frantoia was thicker and more flavorful. Still not perfect by any means, but it will definitely do - an oil I had in Rome almost made me cry, so I'm still a lookin for a "go to" expensive oil.

1 comment:

Athos said...

This is the good stuff right here:

http://www.lard.net/happylard.gif