Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Masserie diSant'eramo - Olive Oil Review

OK, so I go through a lot of Olive Oil (extra virgin of course) and I always try to find some new oils to try out. I am by no means an olive oil expert, but these are the characteristics I look for when I shop.
  • Region: Either from Sicily, Tuscany, or Liguria
  • Bottle: Preferably a dark bottle to prevent light from damaging the oil
  • Oil: A really green oil that looks thick and viscous
  • Description: I know it's all marketing mumbo jumbo, but if I'm having a hard time deciding between oils the description sometimes might persuade me.
Here's one that I found from Garden of Eden and I was hoping for good things - Masserie diSant'eramo from Bari (regione Puglia), Italy. Unfortunately, the oil is just OK. I usually expect a very rich flavorful oil with very earthy notes. It should make a simple spaghetti with parmiggiano reggiano dish taste great.

Masserie diSant'eramo has decent olive oil flavor (hints of artichoke) with a little spice, but it's a little muted and not that thick - not what I'm looking for. A good test is to put a little oil in a spoon and have a taste. Repeat with a little salt. There are better olive oils out there, but Masserie still tastes decent and better than most commercial brands you find out in the supermarkets. I would not recommend this though (price was $16.99 for 17 fl oz), because I feel there are better oils out there.

No comments: