Sunday, November 11, 2007

Restaurant Ichimura

Restaurant Ichimura - Highly Recommended
1026 2nd Ave, New York 10022
Btwn 54th & 55th St
Phone: 212-355-3557

I had the great pleasure of dining at Chef Ichimura's counter the other night.
My colleague at work called the chef and told him I was coming with a few friends and was taken care of very well. Thanks M!

Chef Ichimura is not a flashy man. Nor is he overly talkative like a lot of other sushi chefs out there. Minimalist in design, the restaurant is clean and bright. In addition he plays uplifting Edith Piaf CDs and Rat Pack ensembles in the background while you enjoy his creations.

I would say the man is in his late 40s early 50s and is just comfortable with his life. His sushi is pristine and gentle hearted. Nothing too in your face... (like Gari)
Generous portions and great balance.
But the most impressive element of his sushi is his blade work. The fish take on a different aura when he slices them up. They are then crafted on his fingers with quick precision, meticulous craftsmanship and then quickly placed in front of you to consume.

One by one, I popped these bite sized pieces of heaven into my mouth.
And each time closing my eyes as I chewed and enjoying the flavors of the fish, then the rice, and then the combination of the two as they meld together and become one.. continued on by the pleasant aftertastes as it slides down my throat when I swallow.

Hirame
Kinmedai *
Madai *** (Shimo Zukuri)
Shima Aji *
Iwashi ***
Yaki Maitake **
Matsutake Dobin Mushi
Botan Ebi **
Uni
Ikura
Mirugai *
Toro **
Shiro Anago *
Tamago
Yama Imo to Shisho Maki
Negi Toro Maki ***


- Key to the Stars -
* - Great
** - Excellent
*** - Out of this World !!!

No comments: