Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Masil House - Review

Intro
Masil House - Recommended
400 Main St
Fort Lee, NJ 07024
Phone: 201-592-7390

Wanted to check out my go to Soft Tofu place for dinner, but as usual the place was packed and I couldn't find parking. So, my fiancee and I decided to venture up the road and stop at any random Korean joint - Masil House was the first interesting place I saw. Overall, I give the restaurant an 71/100.

My Menu

1) Ban Chan - N/A
2) Hae Mool Pajon – Highly Recommended

3) Gopdol Bibimbop Recommended
4) Kimchee Jigae Recommended

Dish Comments
1) Ban chan (the free appetizers that come with any Korean meal) were decent here. A good combination and some items that I haven't seen before such as spicy potatoes. Highlights included the potatoes, fried tofu, and the sweet boiled root vegetable - no idea what that was.
2) Seafood, scallion pancake. Very crispy on the outside, soft and flavorful on the inside, stuffed with shrimp and probably scallop and maybe fish. This thing rocked and especially with the side chili soy dipping sauce.
3) Decent, bibimbop. Very fresh crunchy veggies, egg that's cooked OK (would have liked it softer) nicely cooked rice with that crispy rice thing on the bottom. Satisfying, but not superb.

4) Basically, spicy kimchee and pork stew served with a side of rice. Kimchee is good and the broth is heavenly - combo of rich earthy porkiness and a nice heat (not mind numbing). Unfortunately, there were like two pieces of pork and they were overcooked. Still didn't care since I loved that broth.

Overall Restaurant Experience (71/100)

  • Food 7.5/10 – Satisfying Korean food.
  • Service 5.0/10 – Didn't get the ban chan for the longest time, even though we ordered before a couple of other tables...4 other tables got their ban chan first. I'm assuming it's because we're not Korean. One of the waitresses was nice though, but the other one was a royal be@atch with just the stares.
  • Atmosphere 7.5/10 – Unassuming place that is relatively small - seats like maybe 20-30. All Korean speaking people there with some older Men and families.
  • Price 8.0/10 – Price was good as it should have been, since most Korean places are relatively inexpensive. For all that food, it was around $40 including tax and tip which I think is worth it for 2 people - lots of leftovers.

Closing Comments
I would go back if I was in the area based on the quality of the food (satisfying, but not great), even though there's probably some discrimination going on over there.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not that I want to call all Korean restaurant owners/workers "racist"... but I am comfortable in saying they are extremely discriminating.

I too have experienced my fair share of discriminating service when I dine at Korean establishments.
But if I go back with some Korean friends, the service and quality of food is completely different.
It's way better... to the point where I feel uncomfortable because it seems like fake sincerity.
This is annoying and greatly
disappointing to see so much difference.

Perhaps this peninsula bordered by Communist China was just meant for the Korean people... and the concept of International Globalization never caught on.