Thursday, May 15, 2008

Julia's

To be frank, I was expecting a little bit more.
Keep in mind, Julia's at Copia is considered one of top dining destinations in Napa.
After all, it bears the great "Julia Childs" name.
So after Aramis's favorable visit last year, I was convinced I had to go to Julia's.
To my dismay, the food wasn't overly impressive, and everything else (the Decor, Atmosphere and Service) was just average.

For one, I was not prepared for the Californian Dress-code.
Apparently "Business Casual" means something completely different over there in California.
I was shocked to see men in t-shirts and shorts with flip flops dining next to my table.
In addition, this was the most expensive ($100 a head) tasting menu I had during my stay in Napa.
It just didn't make sense.
(I'm so not going back)

I chose the Chef's Tasting Menu, and for the most part it was decent.
But as always, when there's expectations, I am often left scratching my head perplexed by the chef's decisions.
One dish in particular was the "Tuna Sashimi" course served on a coffee coaster. On a coaster! Are you serious?
In addition, it was a poorly "chopped" piece of Tuna with a dab of wasabi and half a tea spoon of tamari drizzled on top. Hardly presentation fit for a fine dining establishment.



Gougeres
Amuse Bouche
Tuna Sashimi
Pan Seared Scallop with Sweetbreads **
Pan Seared Sonoma Foie Gras with Strawberry Confit *
Pan Seared Buttered Local White Fish
Niman Ranch Hanger Steak
Palate Cleanser - Blood Orange Juice with Mint
Pavlova
Petite Fours

2 comments:

Aramis said...

Wow. Sorry for steering you wrong. When I went, I was incredibly happy with the produce - salads and the like, but the main entree was very sub par. Looks like all your dishes were more like my entree and less like my apps...

Anonymous said...

haha.
no sweat.