Sunday, May 18, 2008

Papaya King Confession



OK, one other place I try to visit each week is the great Papaya King at the original location on 86th Street and 3rd Avenue (since 1932). I usually get the No. 1 combo: two hot dogs with sauerkraut ("with") and a drink--usually the papaya or mango drink. This weekend, I went a bit unorthodox. The woman in front of me ordered a mix of the strawberry and banana drinks, so I decided to try that. Notice that I only put mustard on the dogs. Some people claim that ketchup on dogs are for kids only, and I agree. Blogger Dancing Blue Seal has a nice review of the King here. Seal points out the dogs' snappy casings at the Papaya King. Here is a wonderful description of Papaya King from their website:

Today, say the words "Papaya King" to a New Yorker and hot dogs and fruit drinks will instantly come to mind. Papaya King has been called by Zagat the "best, cheapest (stand-up) lunch in the city", and a "must visit" highlight of any trip to New York City. Critic Ed Levine of New York Eats calls it the "best hot dog in the world." Over the years, Papaya King has become a tradition with local residents, tourists, political and business luminaries, and the jet set of New York society. Papaya King represents the ultimate in quick dining -- stand-up fare and ready-made juice drinks enjoyed as you rub elbows with all walks of people. Papaya King stands for inexpensive fast food made from all-natural products and the store provides a nostalgic visit to old New York.

1 comment:

Aramis said...

That exact Papaya King is my favorite among the Papaya dogs (gray's and the like). We'll do a hot dog run one day and compare them...I think Katz's may take the crown though.