Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Super Tacos & Bakery

Super Tacos & Bakery (formerly Tacos Pepitos & Bakery)
1762 Columbia Rd. NW
Washington, D.C. 20009
202-232-7121


This is Adams Morgan part of Washington, D.C.

Washington, D.C. is the most international city I’ve been to, so you’d think it would be easy to find good (READ: authentic) Mexican food. Wrong! There are many Mexican places in and around D.C., but they are Mexican-slash-Salvadorean (mainly), Mexican/Colombian/Bolivian, Mexican/ establishments. I miss real Mexican food dearly. I have now found a place that can help me through that. I discovered this place on Sunday and have already returned on Wednesday. In the two days I was there, I sampled many things. Some I would not repeat, yet there are others that will have me returning for sure.

The place is very small and has 2 counters on the inside where one can stand or sit on a bar stool to eat, and then there are 2 more on the outside. There is always traffic going in & out of here, so you can see they’re quite busy. When you walk in, you see the condiment stand on the right with both green and red salsas. One big thing that shows its authenticity is the real “salsa” which is spicy pickled jalapenos and carrots. As the name of the restaurant states, they are also a bakery. Both on right and left are their baked goods where the right has the typical selections you’d see at a Mexican bakery like conchas, and the left side has cakes in the refrigerator.

Now, onto what I ate and my thoughts.

Tacos. This is the real deal. This is my favorite dish at this place. You wonder why it’s called Super Tacos? It would have been better if they used homemade tortillas. If they were, they didn’t feel like it. Both times I was there. Other than that, the meats were delicious, which is the important aspect.

Carnitas (braised pork) – In a taco, this was my favorite. Very flavorful, plenty of meat, and goes perfect with the onions and cilantro mixture. And I don’t like cilantro.

Cochinita pibil (slow-roasted pork) – When you pull the meat from the taco and eat it alone, this was my favorite. For some reason, as a taco, it was a very close second. So delicious, moist, incredible flavor and texture, but a bit too many chunks of fat.

Lengua (tongue) – Insanely soft. If you like tongue, then you’ll enjoy this. Que rico

Pollo Guizado (chicken braised in tomato, onion, and chicken stock) – I love the carnitas, so I ordered more. They gave this to me on accident. No complaints here at all. If I ordered the chicken…

Torta. This is basically a Mexican sandwich. Since this is a bakery, all the bread is freshly made on premise. In fact, I felt bad for one customer, because they were waiting for a long time only to have the bread run out. The lady apologized and said she’ll make more and to check back in 30 minutes. This is another winner for STacos. I had the chorizo y huevo (Mexican sausage and egg). Besides the obvious, this is stuffed with avocado, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise (I think). It was quite large, and I ordered the smaller one. There are so many different kinds of tortas there, so I need to go back and try more.

Chicken quesadilla – It was made with a different kind of tortilla. In fact, I don’t even think it was a tortilla. I could relate it more to something like a pizza crust. I think it’s the same thing they used when making the huarache. It was okay.

Huaraches de cochinita pibil – Huarache is like a Mexican sandal. But in terms of food, it’s like a bread or pizza crust that’s sprawled out on a large plate. Kind of the shape of a sandal, I guess Beans is spread on the bottom, lettuce, a few more items, and finally, the “topping.”

Enchiladas – I had the platter which has chicken/cheese enchiladas with the typical lettuce, tomato, and sour cream on the side and comes with Mexican rice, beans with cheese on top.

Bakery – Picked several items from the bakery, and like many breads you’d find… meh. Not that great.

I have more pictures from the 2nd time I went, but unfortunately, I didn’t upload them from my camera, which is on its way to Africa and Asia now. Enjoy these pictures.

1 comment:

Aramis said...

Looks hella tasty and I still haven't had any cochinita pibil that was moist and juicy...definitely have to check it out next time I'm down in DC.