Monday, November 17, 2008

Taco craving - Satisfied!

I went back to the Riverdale Park area today. Saw there's a mansion there that's historic. Funny how it's kind of ghetto now with the rich history there. Anyway, tacos were on my mind today, and tacos are what I had.


Taqueria Tres Reyes II

5403 Kenilworth Ave.
Riverdale, MD
20737
301-779-6060

I went to Taqueria Tres Reyes II today to get my taco-eating on, and I sure did. It's a little higher scale than a dive. The people who work there were all pretty nice to me. The link in the Washington Post pretty much nailed it on the head, even though I generally don’t agree with Tim Sietsema’s reviews. (Though I’d give the place 3/4 stars instead of 2 for what it is.) All the food I ate and saw looked quite authentic. The place was generally full of families and a table of friends. The quesadillas I saw there were quite large. Other items on the menu include tortas, cemitas, gorditas, pozole, shrimp cocktail (Mexican style) which seemed popular and was constantly being brought out by the waitress, and more.
My order was all tacos at $2.35 each:




Carnitas – braised pork
Lengua – cow tongue
Barbacoa – smoked/grilled meat
Tripa - tripe
Buche – pork stomach
Chorizo – Mexican pork sausage (think ground meat, not links)




My favorite tacos were tripe and chorizo. Tripe was outstanding. They were crispy and so full of flavor. I’d love to get a bowl full and munch on them sans tortilla. And chorizo… you can just never go wrong with it. The condiments on the table were a bottle of Tapatio hot sauce and the 4 pictured below. The pickled vegetables were crazy spicy. Had me sweating before I finished off my second taco.

This place has a new customer. And many more cuz I’ll spread the love.












No comments: