Friday, May 8, 2009

Grilled Octopus



Spring always reminds me of fresh and vibrant food. And recently I have been thinking back to my Honeymoon in Greece, one of the most wonderful food experiences in my life. Tomatoes so red, juicy and sweet. Better than what you can get in our supermarkets and yes I'll say it, better than any organic tomatoes from the Union Square Farmer's market. There I said it! It doesn't mean you won't see me there buying tomatoes.

When my wife and I were on the Island of Santorini, known for their beautiful sunsets, I remember one standout meal. Grilled Octopus. Fresh octopus pulled straight from the Mediterranean Sea that morning, charred on a charcoal grill. At lunch time, we pulled up to the small adjoining island of Thirasias, created by a volcanic explosion. As we walked off the boat, there sitting on the grill were three whole Octopus, or is it Octopi? Anyway, the smell immediately consumed me and the other tourists. But many of them chose the kabobs on the left.
I went straight for what I had read about in some of the guide books, the Grilled Octopus tentacles, with a simple wedge of lemon. The outside was charred and crispy, the inside tender as a scallop. And finally finishing off the meal with some Ouzo. One day this grilling season I hope to have a chance to take a whole fresh octopus, throw it on the grill and serve it with the side of lemon to my friends and family in hopes of sharing my memory of that meal from Greece.
If you are ever on any of the Greek Islands, take advantage of this wonderful, simple, and fresh dish. You will thank me!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super article from NYT 1999, by Mark Bittman, re grilled octopus.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/08/dining/embracing-the-octopus-tenderly.html?scp=1&sq=octopus+periyali&st=nyt

Great location for Octopus starter. Periyali, an old-timer in the Flatiron district.
http://www.periyali.com/menu.htm