Saturday, May 30, 2009

Wawa

Wawa
Store #934
177 Route 34
Matawan, NJ 07747
(732) 335-5500

Being at the Jersey shore for most weekends this summer and being an outsider - (seriously I don't know the difference between 33,34,35 - isn't it the same highway?) I needed to have my GPS on me. My Tom Tom is great for getting me where I need to go but how awesome is the ability to be spontaneous and be over to find any fast food place or joint you crave. In short I can be a predator and can basically find anything I want when I want it.

My usual prey: Wawa. For those unfamiliar with this chain, Wawa is a convenience store chain located in the Mid-Atlantic (PA,NJ,MD, DE, and VA). Earlier this year during memorial day weekend I got off the highway and found this WAWA in Matawan NJ. This particular WAWA upon entering the store it became instantaneously became therapeutic for me. AC blasting, a helpful staff with a smile on everyone's face. But that's not what the Cardinal came for.

The thing about WAWA is that it has freekin amazing sandwiches. How a place with hundreds of locations around 5 states can have subs 10x better than an unnamed national sub chain with thousands across the country still boggles my mind. Lets start with the service. A trip to the deli one first is encountered with several kiosks which help you build the perfect hot, cold, breakfast, you name it sandwich. What kind of bread do you want? What is your beef preference? Would you like beef or a lot of beef? Condiments - mayo, little mayo, lot of mayo? These are actual questions, I kid you not. And just when you think you are finished - the last question is Would you like bacon?

There are 4 sizes of Deli sandwiches that have become the staple of Wawa. You have the 4" junior, aka the water-boarding of Wawa, to have only 4 inches is simply torture. The 6" Shortie is a good on the go sandwich since they pack it with more meat than most other chains. The 10' classic is a solid base - you wont be needing much extra. Oh and how about the Built to go 2 Foot Hoagie in a box! Only $10!

In short last weekend I ended up at Wawa 3 times en route to a Phillies outing in PA. Pork, Egg, and Cheese on a Bagel in an NJ Wawa. Philly suburbs I got a 10" Turkey in lieu of a grill for tailgates. And later that night some sort of Pepperoni Pizza type wrap - I can't advocate the later because I don't recall much other than the next morning it not being necessary! But it felt necessary at the time!

In short - if you live in the area or visiting I would highly recommend a Wawa Conveinance Store. It seriously should be in every NJ/PA visitor guide!

(IIIII 5 out of 5 Fries)
-CR

No comments: