Sunday, May 9, 2010

Eating at the Met

I recently sat in on a talk given by one of the curators at the Met on Van Gogh and Gauguin. It ran until 7pm and naturally, my tummy reminded me it was feeding time. 
I was in no mood to make a reservation in the city and wait a few more hours for a seat, so I opt for a quick bite inside the Met.
And in doing so, I discovered a comic juxtaposition between the caliber of art and food there.

While on one hand, countless breathtaking pieces of art hang on the walls through out the building, and yet, not one quality morsel of food is available in the place. Its an unfortunate truth the cafeterias and dining rooms dish out very bland and uninspiring food.

I guess we can thank Restaurant Associates for pinching their pennies and making a great place such as the Met, such a bad place for a meal.
I wonder if its the chefs or just the nature of museums, but it was just horrible.
It would be a blessing if they suspended cooking on premise and instead outsourced all the food and simply marked everything 3x.  I'm sure people would prefer this over the satus quo and enthusiastically sit down for a meal.

I would happily pay $12 for 2 Gray's Papaya Dogs and a Fruit Smoothie. Or even $4 for a slice of Joe's Pizza from Bleecker St.  And if I'm feeling extra good about myself, $21 for the best Turkey Club from Stage Deli in Midtown.

But unfortunately, we live in a cruel world, where restaurant chains and food service moguls dumb down our tastebuds and dictate poor food upon us.

If you ever find yourself a tad bit hungry while visiting the Met, do everything you can to avoid eating inside. I highly recommend taking a few steps outside and picking up a hotdog from the street vendor. 

1 comment:

Athos said...

The Mitsam Cafe inside the National Museum of the American Indian Smithsonian in D.C. has really good food like purple corn tamales, white corn bread, venizon loaf, bison, and more. Check out their menu:

http://www.americanindian.si.edu/visitor/files/2010spring_menu.pdf